On 19 January 2018 the French government published a draft action plan on plant protection products to be finalised before the end of the first quarter of 2018.
The consultation will be conducted based on the Ecophyto national plan, which will be reviewed and adapted accordingly.
Four priorities are identified:
- Rapidly reducing the use of substances of greatest concern for the human health and the environment.
- Structuring and strengthening research on the impacts of PPPs on human health in support of strengthening the protection of populations.
- Supporting the research for alternatives and the implementation of these solutions by farmers.
- Strengthening the Ecophyto 2 plan, improving its governance and functioning.
In order to implement Priority 1, the action plan proposes that France opposes the renewal or extension of active substances of most concern at European level. Ministries could refer ANSES to, if necessary, define the necessary management measures (withdrawal of approvals, restriction of use) and carry out additional studies.
Overall, the action plan would concern 18 substances:
- 6 actives expiring in 2018 (Chlorotoluron, Dimoxystrobin, Flumioxazin, Glufosinate, Diflufenican, Diquat)
- 3 actives expiring after 2018 (Epoxiconazole, Profoxydim, Quizalofop-P-tefuryl)
- 3 actives candidates for substitution (Metam-sodium, Metsulfuron methyl, Sulcotrione)
- 5 actives identified as of concern by the mission (Bentazone, Mancozeb, Metazachlor, Prosulfocarb, S-Metalochlor)
- Glyphosate will be part of this national and European approach and will be the subject of further studies, including experimental toxicological studies, for which the results will be expected within 3 years.
As for the implementation of Priority 3, the action plan proposes to promote biocontrol products (support of small and medium-size companies during the registration process, proposal for the recognition of the status of biocontrol at EU level as part of the current REFIT of PPP legislation) and to promote preparations of little concern (so called “préparations naturelles peu préoccupantes” or PNPP) .
Lynxee consulting’s team is at your disposal to answer your questions.
Contact us! http://lynxee.consulting/en/contact/